Law enforcement officials in New Mexico obtained a search warrant for the contents of actor Alec Baldwin’s cellphone in connection with the fatal shooting of a cinematographer on the set of the movie, “Rust.”
In an affidavit attached to the eight-page warrant and written by the Santa Fe Sheriff’s Office, Detective Alexandria Hancock said investigators are seeking evidence that may help complete a full investigation, the Los Angeles Times reported.
Hancock stated that she had asked Baldwin, 63, and his attorney to voluntarily turn over the iPhone but was told to get a warrant, the newspaper reported.
The cellphone could include Baldwin’s text messages, emails, contacts, browser history, private messages on social media and recent calls, according to the warrant.
“Affiant believes there may be evidence on the phone, due to individuals using cellular phones during and/or after the commission of crime(s),” the affidavit states. “Such information, if it exists, may be material and relevant to this investigation. Affiant was also made aware there were several emails and text messages sent and received regarding the movie production ‘Rust’ in the course of interviews.”
The warrant is the fourth to be issued in the investigation into the Oct. 21 shooting, the Times reported.
Cinematographer Halyna Hutchins was killed on the set and director Joel Souza was wounded when a prop gun went off.
The affidavit includes details of Baldwin’s initial interview with detectives, Variety reported.
According to search warrants, witness interviews have claimed armorer Hannah Gutierrez-Reed handed the Colt revolver in question to assistant director Dave Halls, who said the weapon was “cold” (not loaded), before handing it to Baldwin, Rolling Stone reported.
Baldwin told investigators that he had exchanged emails with Gutierrez Reed discussing the different styles of guns and knives that could be used on set. He said he requested a bigger gun and ultimately selected a Colt .45 prop gun with a brown handle, the warrant stated.
Conversations about “Rust” that were available on Hutchins’ phone dated back to mid-July, and photographs that dated back to Sept. 7, the warrant said.
Hutchins, 42, died at the University of New Mexico Hospital in Albuquerque, sheriff’s department spokesperson Juan Rios told the Santa Fe New Mexican. Souza, 48, was hospitalized in Santa Fe, Rios said.
Baldwin’s representative did not immediately return a request for comment.
The Santa Fe Sheriff’s Office has been scrutinizing the actions of Baldwin, who was also a producer on the Western, along with Halls and Gutierrez Reed, as part of its investigation into Hutchins’ death, the Times reported.
In a Dec. 2 interview with ABC News, Baldwin said he felt grief over Hutchins’ death but did not feel responsible for what happened.
“Someone put a live bullet in a gun, a bullet that wasn’t even supposed to be on the property,” Baldwin said. “Someone is responsible for what happened, and I can’t say who that is, but I know it’s not me.”
The next day, local prosecutor Mary Carmack-Altwies issued a statement saying that no charges had been ruled out against anyone, KOB-TV reported.
©2021 Cox Media Group