Now Playing
B985 FM
Last Song Played
80s 90s & NOW

Posted: June 06, 2018

Severed rattlesnake head bites Texas man


By Michelle Ewing, Cox Media Group National Content Desk

CORPUS CHRISTI, Texas —

A Texas man is recovering after he was bitten by a severed rattlesnake head.

>> Copperhead snake bites 6-year-old boy on family trip

According to KIII-TV, Jennifer Sutcliffe of Corpus Christi said her husband, whose first name was not given, decapitated the snake with a shovel while the couple was doing yard work on Memorial Day weekend. But that didn't stop the snake's head from biting the man minutes later when he attempted to discard the remains.

"Since there is no body, it released all its venom into him at that point, so he had a lot of venom," Sutcliffe told KIII.

>> Read more trending news 

Soon afterward, Sutcliffe's husband couldn't see and started to have seizures, she said. An ambulance met the pair as they headed to the emergency room, and a medical helicopter ended up having to rush him to the hospital, she said.

Although doctors initially said Sutcliffe's husband "might not make it,” his condition is currently stable after he received 26 doses of antivenom, KIII reported. 

Read more here.

Dangerous Snakes


Related

Ana_M / Pixabay.com

Severed rattlesnake head bites Texas man

Ana_M / Pixabay.com

Severed rattlesnake head bites Texas man

File photo of a rattlesnake. A Texas man is recovering after he was bitten by a severed rattlesnake head.

Copperhead snake bites 6-year-old boy on family trip

A family trip to Georgia's Lake Burton over the weekend turned terrifying for a Fulton County family after a copperhead snake bit their 6-year-old son, Ford.

>> Watch the news report here

The boy was throwing rocks near the water and some bushes when, he said, he got too close to a hidden 2-foot-long snake.

>> Rattlesnake slithers into Texas house through dog door

"I didn't know it, but the snake was inside the bush, and the snake popped out, and it bit me on the pinkie," Ford O'Neill told WSB-TV.

For Ford's parents, the mission was clear when he was bit.

"I grabbed him, scooped him up, ran to the house and called 911," said Ford's father.

Ford's parents said he never panicked because snakes are his favorite reptile.

"We asked him. We said, 'What do we do Ford?' He said, 'I gotta keep my hand below my heart. I have to slow my heart rate.' He knew all the steps," said Ford's father.

At Lake Burton, paramedics loaded Ford into a helicopter. When he arrived at Children's Healthcare of Atlanta at Egleston, he needed nine bags of anti-venom because the swelling kept increasing, his parents said.

>> Read more trending news 

His family said he fought hard to get through the pain until he improved enough for doctors to release him Tuesday.

"He's a soldier. I mean, he didn't shed a tear until they took the IV out. The whole time, he's been -- God was with him for sure," said Ford's father.

The child is recovering, waiting for the time when he can play with his friends again. Ford told WSB-TV that he feels good and has no plans to be within reach of any more snakes.

Dr. Scott Batchelor, with Children's Healthcare of Atlanta, said copperhead bites are the most common, and the mistakes parents sometimes make when their child gets bitten can make things worse.

"Do not put a tourniquet around the wound. Do not cut into the wound with any kind wound, with any kind of blade," said Batchelor.

  Rattlesnake slithers into Texas house through dog door
 

There are no comments yet. Be the first to post your thoughts. or Register.

 
 
 

Amazon Alexa

Enable our Skill today to listen live at home on your Alexa Devices!