Now Playing
B985 FM
Last Song Played
80s 90s & NOW
On Air
No Program
Now Playing
B985 FM
Last Song Played
80s 90s & NOW

national

200 items
Results 31 - 40 of 200 < previous next >

Jessica Alba's Honest Co. recalls organic baby powder over infection risk

Jessica Alba's The Honest Co. is recalling its organic baby powder over risks of eye and skin infections.

The company, co-founded by Alba and Christopher Gavigan, announced earlier this month that it is recalling "all lots" of the product "due to possible contamination with microorganisms, including some species associated with skin infections or eye infections."

"We've decided to voluntarily recall this product out of an abundance of caution," Gavigan said last week in a YouTube video.

>> Watch the video here

<iframe width="390" height="219" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/-ZUnWLHNPZs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The recalled product has a UPC of 817810014529 and was sold in 4-ounce containers. Customers who bought the baby powder can return it for a refund.

>> Read more trending stories

For more information, call 1-888-688-8653 in the U.S. or 1-888-532-0190 in Canada from 5 a.m. to 5 p.m. PT Monday through Friday. Customers also can email support@thehonestcompany.com with the subject "Baby Powder."

Read more here.

#RECALL: @Honest recalls their Organic Baby Powder due to possible eye and skin infections https://t.co/pSG0IqEk2V pic.twitter.com/CjNLtTpzxV— Today's Parent (@Todaysparent) January 14, 2017

Photos: Notable deaths 2017

Teen raises money for college after parents disown her for dating black student

A teen who said her parents cut her off financially for dating a black student is getting support from strangers across the country through a crowd funding page set up to help her pay for college.

Allie Dowdle, an 18-year-old high school senior, created the GoFundMe page Wednesday in response to her parents' punishment.

>> Read more trending stories

In the post, she said she attends a private school in Memphis and is dating a black teenager.

Dowdle said she told her parents about the relationship some time ago and they cut her off financially.

On the page, she recalls the moment she showed her dad her boyfriend’s picture: 

“About a year ago, I told my parents that I'd started dating a boy named Michael, pictured with me above. Hoping to share him with my family, I showed my parents his picture, and the conversation was over before it even began.My dad did not give me an option:  he told me that I was not allowed to see Michael ever again. Why? Strictly because of skin color.  It wasn't a quiet 'no,' either. I'll never forget the yelling my parents did, when they expressed how disappointed they were in me, that I could do so much better.  I did not know what to do. I couldn't comprehend how someone could be seen as less because of pigment. I still can't comprehend it, and I never will be able to.”

Allie has already exceeded her goal of $10,000 on the crowd-funding website, raising more than $30,000 as of Sunday.

Men who sued Eddie Long for sexual misconduct address bishop's death

From the moment they went public in an exclusive interview with The Atlanta Journal-Constitution more than five years ago, the young men who accused Eddie Long of sexual coercion forever altered the bishop’s outsized legacy.

As word spread Sunday about Long’s death after an extended bout with cancer, everyone wanted to know what his accusers — four young men, all in their mid to late-20s now — thought about the charismatic pastor’s legacy.

“We’ve been hearing from people from all walks of life — the media, celebrities, gospel singers — wanting to hear what we think,” said Spencer LeGrande, one of four former New Birth Missionary Baptist Church members who sued Long in 2010. A fifth accuser, Centino Kemp, came forward as the lawsuit entered a mediation process. An undisclosed financial settlement was reached soon after.

>>Read Controversial Atlanta megachurch Bishop Eddie Long has died, church says

LeGrande, now living Charlotte where he co-owns a thriving sneaker cleaning company, and two of the plaintiffs, Maurice Robinson and Anthony Flagg, told The AJC Sunday that when the time is right, they’ll have their say.

“As much as we’d like to make a statement about the passing of Bishop Eddie Long, we’ve all decided to remain silent, for now,” Long’s accusers said in a joint response given exclusively to The AJC. They said Jamal Parris, the fourth former New Birth member to sue Long, also consented to the statement.

“We’re all brothers in this,” LeGrande said.

Their statement concluded, “Our perspectives will be addressed in our book, 'Foursaken,' which we hope to release soon.”

LeGrande said they’re still shopping for a publisher. The book will focus on their lives after breaking ties with the controversial bishop, who consistently denied the allegations against him.

>> Read more trending stories

LeGrande was 15 when he met Long at one of New Birth’s satellite churches in Charlotte, he told The AJC in 2011. The sermon, on the importance of fathers, left him in tears.

“When I started crawling, that was the day [my father] left,” LeGrande said.

Long filled that void, LeGrande said, telling him “I got you … . I will be your dad.” Soon they were talking regularly on the phone.

The lack of a strong male influence was a common thread that bound Long’s accusers. Parris told The AJC in 2011 his father was abusive and rarely present. He said he met the bishop, whom he said he would eventually call “Daddy,” when he was 14 and new to Atlanta.

Both men said they were 17 when the sexual advances began. By then he had taken them on several trips, to Kenya, Honduras and the Bahamas, among other exotic locales, introducing them to world-famous celebrities and lavishing them with new cars and their own apartments.

Their relationship with Long affected each man differently, but profoundly. Parris told The AJC in 2011 he was battling suicidal thoughts — “I’d love to take pills and never wake up,” he said.

Long never addressed the scandal directly, but in a sermon earlier this year he, too, had briefly entertained taking his own life.

“I had a moment… I had a moment… I wanted to kill myself and was ready,” he told his New Birth congregation, referring to a time when he said he felt “condemned from the four corners of the Earth.”

“My family loved me,” he said. “My church loved me… Regardless of what anybody said, love lifted me and carried me. And you didn’t judge me.”

Now it appears his accusers will have the final say on the most trying chapter in the life of New Birth and its founding pastor.

Burt Reynolds to auction replica 'Smokey and the Bandit' Trans-Am

Remember the iconic muscle car driven by Burt Reynolds in the kitchy yet classic 1977 movie Smokey and the Bandit? Who wouldn't want to own a Trans-Am just like it? Bidders will get their chance Friday at an auction in Arizona, MSN Autos reports. 

A listing for the Barrett-Jackson sale in Scottsdale shows a Pro-Touring Firebird owned by Reynolds and built by Restore a Muscle Car and Gene Kennedy. The car comes signed by Reynolds himself, but the listing makes no claim that it was actually used in -- or associated with -- the movie.

Reynolds, a resident of Tequesta, has owned the car only since last May. "It's likely just pandering to boost the value at auction," according to MSN Autos, but "It'll probably work." 

>> Read more trending stories

In December 2014, Reynolds sold one of the movie's original promo cars for $450,000 as part of an auction of his personal memorabilia. Just months later, a "tribute car" briefly owned by Reynolds fetched $170,00, MSN Autos reports.

More controversial was the sale last year of a Pontiac promo car that was reportedly owned by Universal Studios but not used in the movie. Restored from a junk heap, it generated a $550,000 sale for Barrett-Jackson, according to MSN Autos and Time's The Drive.

So what will the latest restored Firebird with only tenuous links to the Smokey and the Bandit star go for? MSN Autos says it expects "mega bucks" due to the car's "serious resto-mod firepower."

Trump cancels MLK Day visit to National African American Museum

President-elect Donald Trump has scrapped a plan to visit the National Museum of African American History and Culture on Rev. Martin Luther King Jr. Day after his comments disparaging U.S. Rep. John Lewis, a civil rights hero who worked closely with King and who has been closely involved with the museum.

>>Read Trump fires back at John Lewis for calling his presidency 'not legitimate'

ABC and other outlets reported the Republican president-elect’s change in plans; his transition team cited a scheduling conflict and says he plans to visit the museum at another time.

>>Read Lewis' memoir sells out after Trump's Twitter tirade

Trump’s tweets disparaging Lewis, a Democrat, and calling his district – which includes much of Atlanta – horrible, crime-infested and falling apart dominated local social media on Saturday. Lewis has been a vocal Trump critic, calling his presidency illegitimate and saying he believes Russia helped elected him, and testified against U.S. Sen. Jeff Sessions, R-Ala., Trump’s pick for attorney general.

John Lewis on Donald Trump: 'Almost impossible for me to work with him'

U.S. Rep. John Lewis’ comment that he doesn’t see President-elect Donald Trump as a “legitimate president” was just one of many uncharacteristically pessimistic things the Atlanta Democrat had to say about the state of politics on NBC’s “Meet the Press” Sunday.

Asked by host Chuck Todd about whether he could accept working with the Republican New Yorker under any circumstances, the veteran lawmaker replied that it would be “almost impossible.”

“Well, it’s going to be very hard and very difficult,” Lewis said.

>>Read Atlanta mayor to Trump: 'John Lewis an American hero'

The civil rights hero said he wouldn’t invite Trump to accompany him to Selma, the Alabama town where he was nearly beaten to death on what later became known as “Bloody Sunday” — an offer he’s extended to Trump’s three White House predecessors.

He said of Trump if he did visit Selma, “Maybe he would learn something. Maybe he would get religion.” 

The tone was an extraordinary departure for Lewis, who is known for a more optimistic message of unity, equality and peaceful protest.

>>Read Trump fires back at John Lewis for calling his presidency 'not legitimate'

Excerpts from the interview released Friday were what prompted the president-elect to tweet at two different points Saturday that Lewis was “all … talk — no action or results” and that the lawmaker should “spend more time on fixing and helping his district, which is in horrible shape.”

>>Read Lewis' memoir sells out after Trump's Twitter tirade

Trump’s criticism prompted an outpouring of incredulous “how dare yous!” from Atlantans. Republicans struggled to defend the New York businessman, while Democrats began sending out fundraising notices. The online bookseller Amazon sold out of Lewis’ memoir “Walking with the Wind” within hours, while a collection of his three graphic novels, “March,” shot to No. 1 on the site’s bestseller list.

Teen abducted at birth shares song about alleged kidnapper

An 18-year-old who found out on Friday that she had been abducted from a Jacksonville hospital shortly after her birth posted a video to her Facebook page that gives a possible glimpse into her state of mind.

Kamiyah Mobley, who goes by Alexis, posted a YouTube video of a song that appears to be dedicated to the woman she knew as her mother for 18 years, Gloria Williams.

>>Read Teen abducted from Florida hospital at birth reunited with parents

Williams is in jail in Colleton County on charges of kidnapping and interference with custody.

She's accused of posing as a hospital employee and abducting Kamiyah from University Medical Center, now UF Health Jacksonville, in July 1998.

Tips led law enforcement officers to Kamiyah's home in Walterboro, South Carolina.

>>Read Newborn taken from Florida hospital in 1998 found; woman arrested

They matched Kamiyah's DNA to that of the missing infant and announced the abduction case was solved on Friday.

Kamiyah was reunited with her birth parents in South Carolina on Saturday.

Kamiyah Mobley has been reunited with her birth parents 18 years after she was abducted at a #Jacksonville hospital https://t.co/J2sNxEq745 pic.twitter.com/GZ00Y0bA21— Brittney Donovan (@brittneydonovan) January 14, 2017

Williams is awaiting extradition to Jacksonville.

>>Read Friend of 1998 infant abduction suspect: 'No one can really believe this'

The song posted to Kamiyah's page include song lyrics such as "Gloria, My Gloria, things ain't been the same since you went away," and "Cause in my mind, it's still you and me, you and me."

Many people commented on the post with support for Kamiyah.

Man reels in massive 800-pound bluefin tuna

A North Carolina fisherman recently reeled in the biggest catch of his life -- a 800-pound bluefin tuna.

Tommy Adkins, of Reidsville, North Carolina, said he caught the enormous tuna Wednesday at Radio Island Marina in Morehead City.

Adkins is a part-time commercial fisherman who said he targets mainly mahi-mahi, wahoo and Atlantic bluefin tuna for export to Tokyo.

>> Read more trending stories

He said he battled with the massive fish for more than three hours before getting it on board. Adkins said the tuna was 106 inches long and weighed more than 800 pounds.

“He is by far the biggest fish I have ever seen, much less caught,” Adkins said. “Turns out that he is the biggest bluefin tuna that has been caught in Morehead City this season, and is expected to bring the highest sales price as well.”

Portside Marina in Morehead City, which buys tuna from fishermen, confirmed the catch.

200 items
Results 31 - 40 of 200 < previous next >