Now Playing
B985 FM
Last Song Played
80s 90s & NOW
On Air
No Program
Now Playing
B985 FM
Last Song Played
80s 90s & NOW

news

200 items
Results 11 - 20 of 200 < previous next >

Deputies: Florida woman accused of selling drugs in McDonald's drive-thru

A Florida woman was arrested earlier this month after deputies said she was found attempting to sell drugs in a McDonald’s drive-thru line.

>> Read more trending stories

Crystal Olson, 32, was at the end of a drive-thru line at a Palm City-area McDonald’s on Sept. 13 and asked a woman whether or not she wanted to purchase crack or Xanax, TCPalm reports. Deputies said Olson had “slurred speech and swayed as she sat” when they approached her and began to search her purse.

“As she handed me her purse, Olson stated that the purse was her sister’s,” the report stated, according to TCPalm. “When asked why she had her sister’s purse, Olson stated that it was actually her purse, but her sister stole it, and she recently took it back.”

Deputies said drug paraphernalia was found in the purse and Olson told them it “belonged to her sister,” who was trying to “frame her.” She allegedly added that she was carrying a straw in order to “snort her prescription Klonopin.” Olson was arrested on a charge of possession of drug paraphernalia.

Read more at TCPalm.

Donald Trump deposition video released

Republican presidential nominee Donald Trump gets candid about his infamous comments on Mexicans in a deposition video released on Friday.

>> Read more trending stories

"All I'm doing is bringing up a situation which is very real about immigration. And I think most people think I'm right," Trump said in the interview.

The video was recorded in June for one of a pair of lawsuits filed after chefs backed out of plans to open restaurants at Trumpp's new Washington hotel in the wake of his controversial comments about Mexican immigrants, Politico reported.

"They're bringing rapists. They're bringing drugs," he said in July 2015.

In the deposition videos released Friday, an attorney asked Trump, "Did you write the statement in advance? Was it written?"

"No," Trump said. 

"Did you plan in advance what you were going to say?" she asked.

"Yes," Trump said.

Buzzfeed News, CNN, The Los Angeles Times, The Washington Post were among the news outlets that petitioned the court to obtain the deposition videos. 

<iframe width="390" height="219" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/wEUR0KYq7Rs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Tulsa police officer pleads not guilty to manslaughter in Terence Crutcher shooting

The Oklahoma police officer charged in the death of 40-year-old Terence Crutcher on Friday pleaded not guilty to one count of first-degree manslaughter.

>> Read more trending stories

Flanked by her attorneys, Tulsa police officer Betty Shelby was in court for less than 10 minutes Friday morning. A judge read the charge against her and she entered a not guilty plea before leaving the courtroom.

Shelby shot and killed Crutcher on Sept. 16, sparking protests amid a broader conversation about police violence and race. Shelby is white and Crutcher was black.

>> Related: Tulsa police officer charged with manslaughter in shooting death of Terence Crutcher

Shelby and her attorneys say she feared for her life before firing the shots. Prosecutors say she acted unreasonably when she fired.

Jimmy Carter turns 92 years old

By Jill Vejnoska - The Atlanta Journal-Constitution 

Happy birthday, Jimmy Carter! 

How perfect that you turn 92 on Saturday, so you can kick back and relax.

Ha!

Carter’s scheduled activities this weekend include being serenaded by a former Miss America on Saturday night and then turning right around and teaching Sunday school the next morning.

He won’t be at the Jimmy Carter Presidential Library & Museum on Wednesday when they mark his birthday with a free event featuring the real-life mastermind behind the “Argo” operation. Still, if we learned anything in the past year, it’s that age and even a cancer diagnosis haven’t slowed the former president down very much.

RELATED STORIES:

In February, he went to London to address the venerable House of Lords about the Carter Center’s campaign to wipe out guinea worm disease worldwide (and to talk a little Donald Trump as well). In August, he spent five days in the sweltering Memphis heat building houses with Habitat for Humanity.

In between, he became an honorary National Park Service ranger, celebrated his 70th wedding anniversary with his beloved wife, Rosalynn, and shared the good news that his cancer had gone into remission (the most recent MRI of his brain in mid-September “turned out to be OK,” Carter said).

[PHOTO GALLERY: Jimmy Carter Through the Years]

But Plains, Georgia, is the only place he wants to be on his birthday, Carter said recently.

“I’m gonna stay home with my wife,” Carter told a Carter Center audience earlier this month.“Whenever Rosalynn and I are off somewhere, our main wish is to go back home to Plains, where there are others waiting for us and where we can be together in solitude.”

W-e-l-l, kinda. On Saturday night, the Carters will be the guests of honor at a concert by renowned pianist David Osborne at the First Baptist Church of Americus. These birthday concerts have become something of a tradition with Carter and Osborne, whose 50-plus White House appearances across six administrations have earned him the nickname “Pianist to the Presidents.” Betty Cantrell, the Warner Robins native who just completed her reign as Miss America 2016, also will sing at the 6:30 p.m. event, which is free and open to the public.

[RELATED: Jimmy Carter sings with Willie Nelson]

Back in Atlanta, meanwhile, the Jimmy Carter Presidential Library & Museum is dropping its usual $8 admission fee to 92 cents on Saturday only. Then, on Wednesday, they’ll celebrate both its namesake’s birthday and its own 30th anniversary with a special free event starting at 6 p.m. (seating is limited, so plan on arriving early). The library, which opened its doors to the public on Oct. 1, 1986, will host a talk and book signing by Tony Mendez, the CIA officer who devised the successful plan to sneak a half-dozen American diplomats out of Iran from their hiding place in the Canadian embassy in 1980. The audacious operation, which took place during Carter’s final year in the White House, was depicted in “Argo,” the 2012 movie directed by Ben Affleck (he also played Mendez). The evening will also include a screening of “Argo,” which won the Oscar for Best Picture.

Carter won’t be there. But we do know what he thinks about “Argo.” Two years ago, during his annual freewheeling Q&A with Emory University’s freshmen class, the Nobel Peace Prize winner was asked to shift gears and play temporary film critic.

“‘Argo was a very good movie … but it was about 90 percent wrong,” Carter grinned, citing what he said was the short shrift given to the Canadian diplomats’ heroics and the apparently fictionalized final scene in which a truckful of Iranian officials barreled down a tarmac in pursuit of the freed Americans’ plane. “I’ve never seen a pickup yet that could go 240 miles per hour!” 

Man 'very lucky to be alive' after surviving New Jersey train crash, 9/11 terrorist attacks

A New Jersey man who survived the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks on the World Trade Center says he's very lucky to be alive after he was caught up in the fatal New Jersey train crash that injured 108 people Thursday.

>> Read more trending stories

Tahir Qureshi was seated behind the engineer in the first car of Pascack Valley Train 1614 when it failed to stop at Hoboken Terminal, instead smashing through to an interior wall, NorthJersey.com reported.

He told the news website that it felt as though a bomb had detonated. When he opened his eyes again, he saw debris strewn throughout the area and heard other passengers screaming. The car he was in "was flattened and resembled a 'pancake,'" according to NorthJersey.com.

>> Related: Deadly New Jersey train crash: What we know

"The whole roof collapsed and pinned us," the 42-year-old father of three told the New York Post. "I feel blessed – I'm very lucky to be alive."

Qureshi was on his morning commute, headed to his job at March & McLennan, when the crash happened. According to the Post, he was working for the company at its office in the World Trade Center in 2001 when the Sept. 11 attacks took place.

He was just walking into the south tower of the Center when a plane struck the building.

>> Related: Young mother killed in Hoboken train crash recently moved to New Jersey

"It happened now twice to be in a situation," Qureshi told the Post. "It's just one of those blessings that I'm OK."

Rescue crews worked for hours to pull people from the twisted metal and debris left behind on Thursday morning. A majority of the 108 people hurt suffered minor injuries, according to hospital officials. The accident claimed one life.

Fabiola Bittar de Kroon, 34, was standing on a train platform when the crash took place. She was killed by falling debris, New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie said.

The National Transportation Safety Board is investigating the crash.

Woman fighting breast cancer wins lottery for the second time

A North Carolina woman battling breast cancer is celebrating after she won a $250,000 lottery prize, marking her second big win in three months.

Gina Short and her husband won $1 million in the Ultimate Millions second-chance drawing in February, according to state lottery officials. The couple was back on Wednesday to pick up their prize in the All or Nothing game. After federal and state taxes, they got just over $173,000. 

“We're still in disbelief mode,” Short said.

Short had her husband pick up a $2 ticket for the All or Nothing game at a Publix in Cornelius, North Carolina on April 29. To win the top prize, a player has to match all 12 numbers or none of them, according to the North Carolina Education Lottery. Short didn't match any number. 

“We kind of didn't believe it,” she said. “We checked the same ticket six or seven times because we thought we misread it.” 

Gina Short's husband, Len Short, said the winnings would go toward his wife's battle with breast cancer. She was diagnosed six years ago and is currently undergoing chemotherapy. 

“For us to have the good fortune of winning not just one big prize but two, we are just very thankful for that,” Len Short said. “We'll use the money for Gina. She's the priority. She's No. 1.”

Atlanta City Council declares today 'Karen Minton Day'

On the same day Karen Minton celebrated her 30-year anniversary at WSB-TV, members of the Atlanta City Council released a proclamation declaring Sept. 30, 2016 “Karen Minton Day” in the city of Atlanta.

Minton learned of the proclamation during a luncheon to celebrate her years at Channel 2 Action News. The luncheon included a surprise guest - Atlanta city council president Ceasar Mitchell. Mitchell read a proclamation honoring Minton for her years of service which read, in part, “Now, Therefore, We, the members of the Atlanta City Council, and on behalf of the citizens of Atlanta, hereby proclaim this 30th day of September 2016 as Karen Minton Day in the City of Atlanta."

Minton joined Severe Weather Team 2 on September 30, 1986, first covering weather on weekends at noon, 6 p.m. and 11 p.m. as well as the weekday early morning and noon newscasts.

[PHOTO GALLERY: Karen Minton Through the Years]

Minton’s career in meteorology emerged from an unlikely start. She grew up in Lodi, Calif., where her family spent several years living on a farm and tending to 20 acres of a grape vineyard and almond orchard.

“I drove the tractor for my dad in the orchard, gathered eggs, was chased by roosters (they were mean), and tended the garden.  The garden was so huge we did not need to buy vegetables at the store. I also milked cows for our neighbor at their dairy,” Minton said.

After high school, Minton attended University of the Pacific in Stockton, Calif., graduating with a bachelor’s degree in Biological Sciences with plans to go to dental school. She changed her mind about dentistry after an internship and, instead, spent time working as a substitute teacher, work experience coordinator and summer youth employment advisor while figuring out her career goals. She ended up landing a job as a district manager for International Dairy Queen where she was put in charge of franchisees in five western states.

An abrupt career change came in the early 1980s thanks to a chance meeting with the bureau chief at KCRA-TV in Sacramento. 

“He did not think Dairy Queen was the place for me and asked me to join him and his photographer on a story.  He wanted me to see if I had an interest,” said Minton.  “That day planted a seed which grew over the next few months.”   

Minton said she woke up one morning and decided to quit her job with International Dairy Queen. She enrolled in broadcasting and journalism classes with a focus on a career in television. On the first day of one of those classes, a professor took a video of all of the students and then asked Minton to stay behind as her classmates left.

“He asked me to view the video with him.  He turned to me and said, ‘I think we are on to something here.’  He then handed me the business card of Craig Prosser, the bureau chief of KOVR-TV.  Craig needed an intern.”

Minton spent four months working as an intern in the Stockton bureau when a weekend weather position opened up at KOVR’s main station in Sacramento. In 1981, she accepted the position, landing her first job in television.  Three years later, in 1984, she was on the move to Atlanta after The Weather Channel called to offer her a position as one of their first on-air meteorologists.

In 1986, Minton changed jobs for the last time when she accepted a position at WSB-TV where she had the dual role of anchoring both news and weather.  She now serves as the primary meteorologist for Channel 2 Action News This Morning from 4:30 a.m. to 7 a.m. and Channel 2 Action News at Noon.

While reflecting on her 30 years at Channel 2, Minton said her most memorable time remains the Blizzard of 1993. Minton and Glenn Burns were the only meteorologists on staff at the time and were called upon to cover the storm 24/7. Minton left her two daughters with a babysitter and moved into the WSB-TV studios for the week, even sleeping in the sitting area of the ladies rest room.

[WATCH: Channel 2 Action News broadcast from March 13, 1993]

“They looked almost like small living rooms.  I moved my sleeping bag in there and set up shop for the week.  WSB brought in food for the staff and we worked until the crisis was over,” she recalled. “When I got home, there were two ‘snow-people’ holding signs saying ‘Welcome Home Mommy!’ followed by squeals and big hugs from my two baby girls!”

When asked what she thinks has changed the most about her job over the past three decades, Minton said technology overall -- from the speed of weather computers to the power of the weather radar to the way she connects with viewers via social media.

“Thirty years ago, viewers contacted us by phone or letters.  Today it is much easier to stay engaged with our viewers with social media.  We can respond to them during the news, or in our off time.”  

[RELATED: Follow Karen on Twitter | Like Karen on Facebook]

Since joining WSB-TV, Minton has been honored with the Associated Press Award for Excellence in Weather Reporting (1988) and an Emmy Award for Outstanding Achievement Team Coverage of the Americus tornado (2008).

Minton insists she has never once regretted switching to a career in television.

“It has been a wonderful career.  Every day is different.  It is not the typical 9-5 job.  We are on call 24/7, we work weekends, holidays and long hours.  The people at WSB-TV are the best of the best.  Most important, we are family.  It’s fun to go to work every day!” 

Man smashes iPhones at Apple store in France

Calmly, one by one, a man walks through an Apple store in France smashing iPhones with a hand-sized metal ball.

Video of the tirade, posted to YouTube Thursday, shows the man destroying about 12 iPhones and a laptop before he is confronted by security.

>> Read more trending stories

“Apple is a company that violated European consumers' rights,” the man said into the camera a customer used to record the video. “They refused to reimburse me. I told them: ‘Give me my money back’. They said, ‘No.’ So you know what is happening? This is happening.”

The man, who is still unidentified, was arrested by police, according to The Independent.

<iframe width="500" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/tMcHnONkv7s" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Poll: People are ending friendships over presidential race

A recent poll by Monmouth University found that friendships have been ended due to someone’s feelings toward either candidate in the presidential election.

The school reports in a news release that 7 percent of the people they polled said they had ended a friendship over the presidential race while 2 in 3 said that this race has “brought out the worst in people.”

>> Read more trending stories

According to the school, 802 registered voters in the United States were polled over the phone in September. The data showed that 4 percent of the people surveyed found that the election brought out the best in people, while 30 percent said the “harsh language used in politics today is justified given the current state of the country.”

Monmouth University added that 47 percent of Donald Trump voters that were polled said that the harsh language is justified, compared to only 17 percent from Hillary Clinton supporters and 21 percent undecided.

"Half of Trump supporters seem to be saying let the expletives fly, but many voters blame both sides equally for the negative tone of this year's campaign," Patrick Murray, director of the independent Monmouth University Polling Institute, said in the news release.

According to the data, 7 percent of voters reported having a friendship come to a close due to the reactions to the presidential race, with 9 percent being Clinton supporters, 6 percent being Trump supporters and 3 percent undecided. The poll also found that 34 percent of voters feel the country is doing enough to prevent future terrorist attacks, while 57 percent said not enough is being done.

Read more at Monmouth University.

Police respond to 'domestic altercation,' find man yelling at Hillary Clinton on TV

A Wisconsin man's loud yells caught the attention of neighbors Wednesday and caused police to show up to his home, where officers learned he was watching a re-run of the presidential debate.

>> Read more trending stories

The Smoking Gun reports police responded to a 911 call on Wednesday evening about a "high-decibel domestic altercation" and questioned the man about why he was shouting so loudly. According to police, the man said he was "prepping himself" for the upcoming visit by Republican presidential nominee Donald Trump to Waukesha by re-watching Monday's debate and was "yelling profanities about (Hillary) Clinton."

Police said that the man's yelling was "so loud that it could be heard throughout the building where other tenants thought there was a domestic altercation occurring." The officers advised the man on his noise level and left.

Read more at The Smoking Gun.

200 items
Results 11 - 20 of 200 < previous next >